Thursday, January 08, 2004

I've been a very bad instructor. Well, maybe not... why don't you decide?

I decided to take off this term from teaching the full-time course. Instead, I decided to teach only two evening, part-time classes. This is because I didn't feel appreciated from my new Assistant Dean, who is in charge of the full-time classes. AD (Assistant Dean) took on the job last year, and has been on everyone's ass, asking all the instructors to do things according to policy. He has no previous experience being a teacher. He has no idea what we go through. After teaching for four years, I found that the whole department suffered from AD's military-type demands, and all of us were on each other's asses, trying to find fault with everyone else. I don't like this. It was no longer a positive atmosphere to work in.

So, I told AD that I would take a sabbatical. I didn't like AD, and I didn't feel appreciated by him. AD hired someone else to do my job. As it turned out, he hired a person he had worked with before, who hadn't even applied for the job, but AD encouraged him to apply for it.

This new guy turned out to be a major flake. He had no skills, either in teaching, or his profession. On the first day of class, the new guy had a panic attack while facing 64 students. He left the classroom and found another instructor who hand-held him back to class.

The new guy/instructor had little experience in the profession, so his notes, his lack of back-up material and his teaching ability was so bad, that all the students rose up against him, after the mid-term exam, and insisted that the department fire him, and get someone else. That's how bad he was.

I was told by students that he gave no handouts, no overhead examples, and often got so frustrated that he'd leave the two hour lecture or lab for an hour because he was so frustrated. He'd freak out, leave the class, and leave them on their own. He also came onto female students a lot.

So the AD who disrespected me the term before, gave me a call, and asked me to come back and "save the term." He offered to pay me an extra month in advance. He totally sucked up to me, and ate his shit. I agreed, so now I had 64 new students, in addition to my 35 evening students, making it a total of 99 students.

This means I have 99 new projects to mark. I had to grade 99 Project 1's, 99 Project 2's, and 64 new final exams. Unfortunately, none of them are multiple choice, so I have to go through each one, give comments, make judgements, and give marks.

After marking 64 Project 1's, 64 Project 2's and 64 final exams, I was exhausted. Yet I still had to mark 35 Project 2's. So I avoided doing these until after Christmas and New Years. I just couldn't face doing more marking. I needed a break.

So I've spent the last three days finishing up my marks, after students started emailing me for the past three weeks, asking me where their projects were and what their finals marks are. I managed to get them all done in three days, but it was tiring and exhausting. Students can be very irritating. I'd get up at 5:30am to mark projects.

Anyway, I did get them mostly done, although there are still 7 outstanding Project 2's. I had to call them all, or e-mail them, and I told them they'd have until the end of January to hand it in before I give them a failing mark.

Fuck! I'd rather be a student. It's much easier.

I thought I'd give you an instructor's version of events.

No comments: