Thursday, March 04, 2004

New roommate coming

After living alone for the last four months, I realized I needed the extra income, so went looking for a roommate to share my house for March. I prefer living alone, and it's a bit daunting to live with someone I don't know (it's even daunting to live with someone I do), but I put up my posters at the usual hot spots. Then on the web I came across www.roommateclick.com. It allows advertise, post pictures and so on and thought I'd give it a try. The next day I had a message from a guy with a handle called "vaquero." It obviously sounds Spanish, so I looked it up on the web and found out it means "cowboy."

So I'll call my new roommate "cowboy." He's currently living in Ohio, but moving to Vancouver because he has a new job beginning April 1 at a university near my house. He's a biogenetics engineer. He's got a master's education and is originally from Mexico. We talked on the phone a few times, and he's got a lovely Spanish accent. He sent me a couple pictures and looks like handsome enough guy. So he's moving in the third week of March.

I love having a roommate who's never been in Vancouver before, because I get to play tour guide to this beautiful city (Vancouver was just nominated the third best place to live in the world by Conde Nast magazine, down from number one for the past two times). I think I also prefer someone who is gay and educated, so he meets these qualifications.

It might be nice to have someone else around. We'll see.

No comments: