Thursday, April 22, 2004

Intertextual Drag

How it happened.
I've never been interested in drag. But one Halloween, three friends of mine convinced me to dress up in drag, along with them. "It'll be fun," they promised. None of us had ever done it before. So I went to a costume store, and tried on several dresses, and I just looked horrible! My body is more square, than curvaceous, so I just looked like a guy in drag. I wouldn't be caught dead in public looking this bad.

I was about to give up when I read an ad in Xtra West. A local, well-known drag queen would do a "makeover" for a fee. I contacted him, and wow, did he deck me out! I went to his apartment, along with my boyfriend who documented with photography my transformation. At first I thought I'd made a mistake. The drag queen smothered my face with cream, then dusted a white powder over my entire face and neck. I looked near death. Then he drew in eyebrows, cheek bones and an Angelina Jolie mouth. It was when he stuck on the blond wig that things came together. Then he lent me a crystal encrusted necklace and earrings, a sequined dress, fishnet stockings, and pumps. Last to go on were the long red nails.

I looked like my sister wearing too much make-up!

It was the oddest experience. I now realize why gurls want doors opened for them. They're in pure hell, wearing high heels while fearing that their dress is out of place. I couldn't open doors without breaking nails. I could feel my flashy earrings bounce every time I moved my head.

I tried calling my friends to meet up with them, but couldn't get a hold of them! I went to one gay club, and the drag queens there looked me up and down. One said, "Nice, you're new, aren't you?" I couldn't find my friends. I walked down Davie Street with people whooping and hollering at me. When I drove in my car, and ended up at a red light, the people in the car next to me would be staring at me.

After spending a few hours getting dragged up, I never got a hold of my friends, so I went home with my boyfriend, who photographed me. Finally, I got rid of all the drag shit, took a shower, and had man sex with him. By the way, the first picture is titled, "Me and my pussy." The second, "Wife beater" (I'm holding an egg beater).