Friday, October 20, 2006

White-Tailed Deer



Last week I left my office at about 10pm. I saw 8 white-tailed deer walking up the paved pathway, over the coulees. Oddly out of place among concrete, right angled buildings and human beings, they were a welcomed pleasure. Graceful, curious and cautious, their large, muscular bodies daintily tiptoed across the parking lot and back into the curvareous hillsides. It was a full moon, adding to the supernatural quality of the moment.

Today at 5pm, I saw a buck, a female deer and a baby deer, less than 10 feet away from me, as I stepped out onto my office's patio for a breather. Their white behinds were nearly in my face, as they pranced about the hillside edge, eating leaves from a tree. They were nervous, but not scared, apparently used to human presence.

I know there's a metaphor here - I'm working on it. I will update once it's become clear.

1 comment:

A Bear in the Woods said...

So simple and beautifully stated.
It's a marvel when the sacred quality of life is borne home to us is if we just walk into another dimension, where everything looks the same, but everything is different at the same time.