Monday, July 03, 2006

Camera Obscura

I just realized in my last post about Brad, I used a metaphor which perfectly describes him, my relationship to him, and really, about everything. Pardon me while I spell it out:

The problem with trying to take a picture of Brad [metaphor for trying to understand oneself or the other] though is he can't stay still [our identities are constantly in flux and in development, both internally and externally]. He's constantly moving, and his facial expressions constantly change from moment to moment, so he's like the worst model ["model" represents the impossibility of simplifying or objectifying oneself or the other to a defined and closed system of ideas] you can hope for. Plus my camera's shutter speed isn't fast enough to capture him - by the time the moment is right, and I press the button, and the shutter clicks, he's already moved and emoted several more things, so I never get a good picture. I was afraid too that another guy would come into the room and see me taking pictures of this practically naked stud [this suggests various things: how our interactions with others points of views/projections instantly changes our own, and our personalities change with the introduction of the third in a closed, two-people system]. So, I let it go.

I think this is some kind of nihilistic philosophy, possibly post-structural, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about philosophies to figure it out. Anyway, I guess that's how I'm feeling about life, people and myself right now. :)

No comments: